Monday, March 07, 2005

I got a job!!!

That's right, Larissa, I'm working!!! Hahaha. Don't worry - I know you were joking!!! I was turned down for the one apple picking job for which I could find someone home to ask about it because I'M A GIRL. The guy straight out told me that his tractor driver had refused to work with any more girls because they just couldn't cut it in the picking fields. Jeez. I had been warned about that, but it still felt weird to be told to try for a job in the packhouse (less pay, easier work) since the apple picking is too hard for females. However, I mentioned to the woman at my hostel that I was looking for a fruitpicking job and she put me in touch with a woman who needed help picking Nashis (Asian Pears) and pears. She hired me on the spot (apparently girls can pick Nashis just fine) and I had my first day of work today. It was good. We had a small crew with two supervising pickers and only 4 of us making up the rest of the crew. Its a nice little group. We get paid $12/hour before taxes, which is actually quite decent and affords a nice, cooperative atmosphere rather than getting paid by the bin like they do at so many places. I'll be doing that for the next two weeks until I head out to do some tramping around this area. I also set up an appointment to get my hair cut on Saturday, cuz its getting long, and that means that my layers are growing out and its just BAD. You all know I'm not vain, so when even I start wearing my hair in a ponytail every day, it means its time for a haircut. I also want to get my right heel looked at. Its been painful for a while. I doubt I would have broken it, since I'm guessing I'd know if that happened, but maybe I bruised the bone or something?? I don't know. We'll see. I should probably call the program office to get some advice about going to the doctor. I also think I got some gravel in my wheel of my car, so I have to figure out how to get that out. Hopefully I can find someone who will be willing to help me... The moral of this post is that if you find yourself eating a New Zealand Nashi or Pear in the near future, just think - it might have been hand picked by me!!!

1 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can see any doctor with the travel insurance, you just have to pay up front. You might want to contact IEP anyway to get more info on specific doctors. Let me know if you need another claim form.
-Larissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home