Friday, March 04, 2005

The Marlborough Sounds

The Cook Straight divides the North and South islands of New Zealand. It is one of the roughest stretches of water in the world, due to the ocean, storm and wind currents all coming together in a way that apparently tends to lead to rough seas As in, enormous ferries have had to turn back halfway through the voyage because they can't make it the 3 hours across. Luckily for me and my tummy, the day I set out from Wellington to ferry across to Picton, on the South Island, was nice with smooth, flat seas. I pulled up to get my car in line for the ferry after checking out of my hostel. I went for a last wander around Wellington in the hour and a half before I had to be back to load up. My last wander consisted of looking for Lonely Planet's Tramping New Zealand guide at a bookstore where I'd seen all Lonely Planet books advertised for 20% off. Turns out, that's 20% off the cover price of $44.99. Ummm. Yeah. Even with exchange rate, that's RIDICULOUS, so needless to say, I passed up on that one, as much as I would love to have a copy of the book. Instead, I went across the street to a honey shop (The Honey Hive) where I got a cone of Kapiti Fig and Honey ice cream. It was a delicious manuka honey ice cream with fig pieces, which had won the "Supreme Champion New Zealand Ice Cream Awards in 2002." How cool is that?? They have Supreme Champion Ice Cream Awards here?! Do we have that in the States? Cuz if not, we should. I'll judge... ;) You all know I am VERY well qualified! ;) I strolled back to the ferry along the waterfront, and reached my car in time to receive a call from my dad and Dale! (Don't worry, my mom got on eventually as well). It was very fun to hear from all of them, and I officially proved my prowess as a New Zealand driver by driving my car up on the ferry while talking on the phone. Whoo hoo! The Crossing. Not much to say, but I thought I'd just throw that in to keep with the flow. It was windy up on deck. Thank goodness I had packed my hoodie and rain jacket/windbreaker. Other than that, uneventful, until... I reached the Marlborough Sounds. I am not entirely sure what I was expecting when I arrived, but certainly not what I saw. The Marlborough Sounds are old, gently worn down mountains whose valleys were flooded by the seas back when sea level rose at some point in the geological past. What that leaves is beautiful green, forested mountains that drop directly down into the sea. There are all sorts of little islands and penninsulas of these low mountains, and the ferry weaves in amongst them as it makes its way to Picton, the little town where the ferry eventually deposited me and left me to go in search of my hostel. Picton. I spent a couple days in Picton recovering from the rigors of the big city, because while I thoroughly enjoyed Wellington, it definitely took its toll being in the city again. I took a lovely hike out to "The Snout," a nice 4 hour return walk out to the tip of a penninsula in the Queen Charlotte Sound. At the tip of the penninsula, I watched the waves, the sailboats, the birds, and just sat and enjoyed the sunshine and blowing grasses. At the hostel that night, we played a fun Austrian game trying to hammer nails into a tree stump using the small side of the hammer. That is hard to do! Try it sometime! Definitely frustrating after a bit - you just want to pound that nail in! Camping in the Sounds. I stayed in Picton for 2 nights and then headed out with my car and my tent to spend the night out in a campground out on a Penninsula between the Kenepuru and Queen Charlotte Sounds. I had a beautiful spot up in the woods and could walk right down to the water, which was a beautiful little harbor beneath the little town of Portage (a good MN name if I ever heard one!). There was a family staying right down by the water. I got a kick out of the little girls, the oldest of whom was probably 7, and informed me that her little sister (probably 2), had already "pooed in her togs [swimsuit]" 3 times since they'd arrived. Ahhh, the things I learn! Another thing I learned from her was that she'd just been in swimming and almost gotten stung by a jellyfish. I crossed "go swimming" off my list of things to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home