Thursday, January 06, 2005

I've arrived... and before...

FIJI

Well, after a 10 hour, 45 minute flight (that is what my interary says, anyway - I didn't actually check the timing myself), I arrived in Nadi, Fiji at 6:15am Thursday the 6th local time. That's 10:15am Los Angeles time.. on Wednesday the 5th! I still don't entirely understand how the Internatioal Dateline actually works, but it certainly makes for interesting travel adjustment.

I slept quite well on the plane. A HUGE thank you to Beth for suggesting that I bring an inflatable neck pillow. That thing saved my sanity!

Upon our arrival into the terminal, we were greeted by the 'Bula Band' welcoming us to Fiji. Ironically, the band had set up shop right next to the line of travellers who were transferring to different international destinations. People staying in Fiji were routed directly along to baggage claim and customs and didn't get the benefit of listening to the band for more than the 20 seconds that it took them to walk by. Those of us who weren't actually staying in Fiji got a nice, extended welcome serenade. I tried not to think too much about that one...

LOS ANGELES

Just a quick little shout-out to all the fabulous people in LA. You guys gave me the most wonderful send-off to newly redubbed New Ziggitty (no, this has no relation to Fort Diggitty unless you count the abundance of farm animals!). I could not have asked to have more fun or been with more wonderful, caring friends before my big trip (don't worry everyone else - you guys are wonderful too, you just don't live in Southern Cali!). I still have to laugh about the masses of us blonde Minnesota girls taking over Garf's. And our visit to the Toybox. And Keasha's scheduled cadaver scalping. And the girl with the cool earings ("well, if by earings you mean..."). And Jury's surprise early arrival on Tuesday afternoon. And EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! You guys make me smile and I miss you so much!!! Lundi, I was straight up about to cry at the airport! All will be well and we will have more heart-to-hearts soon.

AUKLAND

Yep, I'm finally on to the New Zealand portion of all of this. A couple things you guys will appreciate that I witnessed on my wanderings this afternoon:

- T. Bell Plumber's (hmmmm - what kinda plumbing is T. Bell working, anyway???)
- An add for Pepsi Max that has a pop cup with 5 straws bent to look like a hand giving someone the finger and the caption "give sugar the flick." Hmmm. I don't think that would pass in the US.
- And here's my favorite: I am walking down Queen street (a main street in Aukland) toward Aukland Harbor. I arrive at the intersection with Customs Street and I'm standing there, checking out the 'Champions of the World' Store full of New Zealand All Blacks (their Nat'l Rugby team) gear, when the stoplight flashes to walk. Now, I don't know how crosswalks are for all of you, but for me, I have always seen them allowing pedestrians to cross with the traffic. This one, not so much. As soon as it flashed to walk, people started taking off every which direction in the intersection. I was disoriented and a little out of it (remember, I just completed that 10hr 45 minute flight to Fiji, plus another 3-something hours to Aukland, PLUS I lost a day somewhere in there), so I walked straight across the street, trying to wrap my mind around this new concept of a crosswalk in which you didn't have to stay in the crosswalk. On my way back from the harbor, I was ready when the light changed: I took off right into the middle of the intersection with everyone else, walking kitty corner just because I could. Let me just tell you how cool it feels to be walking kitty corner across a busy intersection in downtown Aukland. Its kind of like those times at ski practice when the whole team of 60-something of us was running down the street holding up cars in our wake. Very empowering. Okay. Maybe I'm over-reacting. But it was pretty darn cool.

I also stopped in at Kathmandu and bought a backpacking stove 50% off. The guy I talked to said he has that one and likes it, so hopefully I will too! I didn't like their pot set, so I stopped over at Snowgum (another outdoor store) and found one that I liked better. Plus, I talked to the girls that were working there about cool places to go in New Zealand. They had lots of good ideas for me! I am going to go home tonight and look through my guidbook a bit before I fall asleep. I have my orientation tomorrow, so maybe that will help me to feel a bit more settled as well. I am a bit overwhelmed and feeling like I need to be settled somewhere for a bit. We'll see.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Albatross said...

Man, I'm jealous! We're planning to relocate to London for a year, but New Zealand was certainly in the running for a while. Maybe we'll get there someday.

Keep an eye peeled and let us know the first time you spot Lucy Lawless or Jay Langa'aela. Until then, maybe you can tell me somethign that's been puzzling me for 20 years: how do the letters get turned upside down between when I post them here and when you read them there?

Oh and it's 3 degrees F in Minneapolis with absolutely no snow this year. Hope you're feeling sorry for us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home